외계인의 알?

Is 'Star Jelly' found in Cumbrian Fells from outer space? 

The Lake District fells have been invaded by "The Blob," a translucent jelly which is said in folklore to be from outer space.

Within the past week the mysterious translucent jelly has materialized in and around the fells of Patterdale, Cumbria. 

While some put the mysterious goo down to meteor showers, others say the strange substance appears during rutting, the Daily Mail reported last Saturday.

A similar incident inspired the film "The Blob" when in 1950 four policemen in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, came across a huge disk of quivering jelly which measured six feet in diameter.

But unlike the hit 1958 horror film starring Steve McQueen these blobs don't terrorize the community and there have been no reports of any other supernatural behavior.

The substance is known as "Star Jelly" and some say is left over from meteor showers but its sporadic appearance around the world has continually dumb-founded scientists.

The last reported sighting came in 2009 when it was discovered in the hills of Scotland.

It had been suggested that the blob, which can be tracked back to the 14th century, could be the remains of frogs, toads or worms, though tests have been inconclusive.

Rob Shephard, a holiday-cottage owner of Patterdale, was one of the first to encounter the slime which has invaded the area.

Mr. Shephard, 43, said, “I first found out about the jelly from some friends on Monday and the next day I went out into the fells looking for it as I was intrigued.

“They said they had looked it up and it could be 'star jelly' - caused by a meteor shower.

“I know of at least five other people who have come across it in the past week, but as far as I know it has never been seen in these parts before.”

“외계인의 알?” 괴물체에 과학계도 ‘오리무중’

영국 레이크지방에 있는 한 호수 근처에서 정체가 확인되지 않은 젤리 같은 반고체가 무더기로 발견돼 지역 주민들이 공포에 떨고 있다. 

지난 주 초 얼스호(Ullswater) 주변을 조깅하던 한 무리의 사람들은 반고체 9~10개가 땅에 떨어져 있는 장면을 발견해 경찰에 신고했다고 영국 대중지 데일리메일이 24일(현지시간) 보도했다. 

의문의 물체를 직접 봤다는 근처 농장의 주인 롭 셰퍼드(43)는 “친구들에게 듣고 직접 가서 보니 내 발 사이즈 정도 되는 흰색젤리 같은 물체가 땅에 어지럽게 흩어져 있었다. 이 마을에서 오랫동안 살았지만 지금까지 한 번도 보지 못했던 물체였다.”고 설명했다. 

이 물체의 정체는 아직도 밝혀지지 않았다. 일부 주민들은 개구리나 두꺼비 등 양서류의 알일 수 있다고 주장했으나 동물의 알과는 거리가 먼 것으로 밝혀졌다. 

이런 발견은 이번이 처음이 아니다. 첫 기록은 무려 14세기로 거슬러 올라간다. 

이후에도 영국에서 종종 이 물체와 관련된 목격담이 흘러나왔다. 2009년 스코틀랜드와 지난해 11월 영국 노퍽 주에서도 이런 물체가 발견돼 대대적인 조사작업이 이뤄졌으나 정체를 밝혀내는 데 실패했다. 

의문의 물체를 둘러싼 의문이 더해가면서 일각에서는 ‘외계인의 알’이 아니냐는 다소 황당한 주장까지 나오고 있는 실정이다. 

1988년 개봉된 미국영화 ‘더 블롭’처럼 젤리처럼 보이는 괴물체가 외계괴수로 변해 사람들을 공격할 수 있는 것 아니냐며 지역주민들이 불안을 호소하고 있는 것. 

과학자들은 이번 물체와 관련해 난무하는 비과학적인 호기심에 대해 우려하면서도 이 물체를 정확히 규명하지 못하고 있어 불안을 확산시키고 있다. 

2009년 스코틀랜드에서 발견된 문제의 반고체를 조사했던 한스 슬러이먼 애든버러왕립식물원 소속 조류학자는 “거의 물로만 이뤄진 이 물체가 무엇인지 조사에서도 확인되지 않았다.”면서 “이걸 집어먹은 동물들에게 독성을 일으킬 위험이 있다.”고 경고했다. 조사에 참여했던 또 다른 과학자 이언 베드퍼드도 “매우 이상한 물체임에는 틀림이 없다.”고 말하면서 운석과의 연관성에 대해서도 조사할 계획을 밝혔다.

저게 저리 무섭나? 공포에 떨필요 까지는...

Author

Lv.99 유북지기  최고관리자
1,267,164 (100%)

등록된 서명이 없습니다.

Comments Close